backstories

How Michaela Coel Wrote I May Destroy You's Dreamlike Ending

The original working title for I May Destroy You was January 22. Michaela Coel eventually scrapped information technology, in part, considering she felt it would invite also many questions near how her own experience with sexual attack informed the series. (That was the date when she was drugged and assaulted while working on her previous bear witness, Chewing Gum.) Nevertheless, the title eventually makes its manner into the show in the finale every bit the title of her character Arabella's long-gestating volume. A nod to the reality of fiction. (Another title possibility was This Story is Non Based on True Events.) The beauty of the ending is in how it contains shards of reality, but expands them into strange, surprising shapes, similar blowing hot glass.

The finale picks upwards right where the penultimate episode leaves off: Arabella and Terry (Weruche Opia) are at the bar, Ego Decease, and Arabella sees her aggressor, David, back at the scene of the crime. A cliffhanger. After all this fourth dimension, all this waiting, what does she exercise? The finale answers that question again and again and once more, in diverse scenarios that grow more than surreal and challenging with each iteration. The first scene is pure revenge fantasy: three women doling out justice like vigilante crime fighters. The second is another twist: David has a breakup in the bathroom stall. He becomes more metaphorical, a manifestation of her trauma rather than a real person. The third detaches further from reality; Arabella buys him a drink, and they make love, with her penetrating him in her bed. In the final beat, Arabella decides non to return to the bar. She chooses, instead, to spend time with her friend and housemate Ben.

During the first of seven interviews I did with Coel about I May Destroy Yous in May, she wanted to know whether I had watched the finale. (I had only watched six episodes at that signal.) Nosotros couldn't really talk about the testify however, she said, because the entire affair had to be seen in the aggregate — all of the journey, its pitfalls, joys, and tribulations. She wanted the viewer to feel how she felt when she finished writing the piece, and in some ways, how she had brought peace to her ain life. "I, Michaela, have had to let information technology go," she said. "I had to let information technology go, and realize that I was still alive if I let it go, and the trauma did not need to define me. I could let get of the trauma and I would even so be here."

Okay, so permit'due south talk nigh the ending! How did you start writing it?
I was in Michigan, and I recall writing the terminal episode, and I had an ending. I had told the couple that lived in the big house that I was writing a story on sexual assail. I was thinking almost these scenarios where I could get justice, and I would put them forward to Emerge [McCaughan, who owns the property] when I saw her. "Sally, how virtually this? Here's a way where no one has to dice but at that place's withal justice." And I would meet her reaction. I realized what I thought was much more interesting was exploring every unmarried 1 of these scenarios.

I hateful, I had so many versions. In my original version, Arabella and David sat on a park bench well-nigh to communicate. I have versions where her and Terry and Theo carry his expressionless body into a dumpster and burn the dumpster [laughs], and at that place's a big blaze, and Arabella'south at the bonfire, and Terry's like, "You're a murderer! Get abroad!" And and so I realized that Arabella has to live with the murder … so then she just lives as a murderer? This feels stressful! [Laughs.]

I had another version where she drugs him and took him dwelling house and was trying to wake him up and then — while he was under this drug — convinced him to go to the law station and admit to the rape. And so then she calls the police up and says, "He's on the way! I've got him in an Uber!" And then I was imagining the constabulary officeholder receiving this telephone call, thinking, Arabella'south crazy! Arabella really went to some measures for justice, perchance at the cost of her sanity. It's quite a lot, isn't information technology, to take him habitation? It'due south crazy. Then I went from "Oh my God, now that I empathize this whole feeling of, like, forgiveness and love, let me love David! I'm going to have sex with David!" It still seems crazy, doesn't it?

David?
David is the rapist of Arabella, and she makes love to him.

Just his name is sometimes Patrick?
Yes, information technology's sometimes Patrick [laughs]. The first name she gets in episode one is David, and he gives her a fake name sometimes where he's Patrick. It's a lie. Yes, his proper noun is David, so permit's go with David. This caused contention in the drafting and the postproduction process. I was like, "Guys, what exercise we do with the proper name? I'm panicking." And then then we observe a reason to justify why it'due south David but sometimes he's called Patrick and sometimes he's called David — but, actually, he's David.

Then Phil Clarke, who's my co-executive, one day — it must accept been quite late into the drafting process — said, "What near if Arabella merely doesn't get dorsum to Ego Death?" And I was like, "Wait, oh my God. Yeah. She simply lets it go." And information technology felt like … that was the moment I also allow get. I got emotional. I began to cry. I'grand getting emotional talking about it, because it was like, "Oh my God. She'southward done information technology all. She's gone through all the unlike things, holding on to it in any mode you're trying to hold on to it."

And then this idea of just freezing in the garden … and the garden was actually very much based on a existent moment I had with the existent Ben, whose name is Ashe, who was my housemate for similar iv and a half years. Nosotros were out in the garden ane day and he's from somewhere outside of the city, and then copse and plants are ever on his mind. Y'all know, he talks about birds, and I retrieve being like, "God, that is a loud bird! Where'southward it?" And that moment, we probably spent over an 60 minutes trying to figure out which tree in the altitude this bird might be sitting on. Y'all're in the present. This felt like peace, and I think it's a moment of peace for Arabella every bit well when she decides to cease looking back.

Did you run through every single scenario in life too?
No … my dream scenario was "the police find him and everything is a match and he goes to prison." That would have been and then cool. And then that didn't happen. So the scenarios weren't from my reality. Another thing I was curious to do, especially with the first scenario — I think in that location is this matter that almost permeates through the way we tell stories most people that do terrible things to other people, which is "And now the tables are turned, and now we avenge and ascend the apathetic blah blah!" And I don't know what that does to the well-being of the watcher, the person experiencing it. Considering we're all going through something in our lives, and having this version where it's all nearly flipping the tables — all we are doing is becoming the thing we hate. I don't know if it serves the states. I don't know if information technology serves the individual to ride on the equus caballus of comeuppance and It's my turn, and now you are going to exist finished and lying in the grit. Sometimes I watch things, and by the end, I'g similar, You've left me feeling tangled upward and anxious and hopeless. And I think our well-being is of import, so as I'1000 telling this story, I'm thinking about how I leave the audition. Exercise I leave you terrified? Practise I get out you outraged? Do I leave y'all a mess? Or exercise I leave yous feeling this thing that, for some reason, isn't bad? You lot didn't have a bad feeling when you finished it, didn't you?

No.
Even though bad things happen.

It's interesting because the starting time scenario is a revenge fantasy we're familiar with. Even the outfit, the wig, it really feeds into the fantasy.
Yeah.

But there is this unease through Terry, where you sense that this is non the style it should be going, where it'due south going to a dark place where she is becoming the matter that she hates.
Yes, which as well does happen. She slowly works her manner toward being that kind of person, doesn't she? It probably begins around episode seven, when she locks Kwame in the room. At that place are these offshoots and possibilities of the kind of person Arabella may become. She has no regard or existent empathy for him. She's cocky-centered; she is the only victim in the world. Then she talks near Bob in episode eight. She talks near violation, crossing the line. And what does she practice? She breaks into Biagio's house, unannounced, to make her style into his life. And then she's slowly going on a train that easily ends upwards finding no problem with accidentally murdering and drugging the man that attacked you considering he hurt you. So she has to decide what kind of person she wants to be. And yes, Terry in that scenario is a way that we could observe what Arabella'south doing then we can get lost in the revenge. Finally nosotros found him, and there is the "Oh, this is amazing, go go go," or in that location is "Hey, you accept a homo on the streets, and you're undoing his trousers, picking upwardly his penis. What are you doing?"

And so the second scenario …
What is that once again? What is the second scenario? Oh yeah! [Laughs.]

David has a breakup.
Yes, aye.

What was the goal in that location?
It'south interesting, isn't information technology? This besides speaks to that thing she says in episode 4 in therapy, where she says, "Oh, there'due south a war in Syria. Children are dying and everyone has a smartphone." There volition always be this version where "Well, you don't know how information technology feels for David. Let'south have a wait and platform his story in all of this, and allow's run into what happens if, human to human, David and Arabella tin can have a moment where they aren't playing 'bad rapist guy and hurt victim,' and let's see what happens if they take hold of themselves by surprise and something else happens."

This is really how this scenario came about. I was writing in this café called Guava, nearly where I used to alive, and I went outside to take a break with my earphones. I love music, so on my break I'm standing outside and kind of swaying a bit on the street. And a guy walked by with a beanbag in his manus and said, "You're dancing on the street?" And I said, "Oh, aye." He said, "London's crazy." It turned out he had just gotten out of prison. And I was like, "Oh, wow! Okay, absurd." He said, "Aye, they moved me to this surface area. I've never lived here." I was similar, "Well, I live hither! Hither's my number if you want to hang out!" [Laughs.] He called me and I was with my friends at my firm, and I said, "Yeah, I'm with my friends right now. You desire to come over and say hi?" So he came over, and my friends were actually reading my scripts. So nosotros were reading my scripts, and this guy came over, and he didn't know how to behave. He said a lot of the things that David said. He said, "People don't ordinarily allow me into their homes. This is all a bit weird for me. This is like God for me." And I remember thinking, This is fucking amazing just besides quite weird. And my friends got quite worried, so I said, "I think y'all have to become now," and he said, "Why?" "Because my friends are quite worried." "Oh, yeah. I can tell. I could tell yous're really, really worried." And I said, "Yes, it'due south because I've been sexually assaulted before, so I think they're only quite protective of me." And he said, "Oh my God, I'1000 so pitiful. I've been shot three times!" And he was showing me his wounds, and I was like, "Oh my God! That'southward atrocious!" And he was like, "You're crazy!" I get, "Yous're crazy too!" And he goes, "Y'all're a bit androgynous!" And I was similar, "Am I?" And he goes, "Yep, you are a bit androgynous!" He but kept maxim that. And then he left. And then he came the next day and left me a T-shirt and some apples. I never saw him once more! That's it! Jamie. James Sheeran. Irish. So that! I call back that did something [laughs].

And and so scenario three?
I judge we've led into that even by me maxim that bit near Jamie saying I'm androgynous. Obviously, it'due south very clear that David is becoming not and so much a person but more than an idea, a retention. It'south a mental trauma in her head, and she'due south almost devouring it to master it. She devours it because it'south a function of her.

So you wanted to flip gender roles?
Yes, because for some reason, I wanted Arabella to penetrate David. I just really wanted that [laughs]. And Lewis [Reeves], who plays David, was really excited about that. He was like, "Yeah, okay!" Why did I want to do that? I don't remember information technology'due south about flipping the gender roles. It's virtually dissolving the gender roles, about removing the separation that creates the gender roles and connecting the genders. Did you lot see the affair on the toilet?

I did. The continued bathroom signs.
At the same time, to dare to engage with your nightmare on such an intimate level is disturbing. This is all in the listen, of course. I'thousand not saying "Do this in your ain life." Merely that is, for me, the only way I was able to work my style through, to dare to find the link. And that's what she does then that she can empathise it and temper it.

Find the link to what?
David is a nightmare for Arabella. I'm not talking about other people'south stories, simply for Arabella, she has to find the link to her trauma of David instead of constantly cartoon up a barrier and running away from it. Because then it's most like everybody becomes painted with a brush, and the more she runs from David, the nightmare, the bigger the monster becomes. The more we avoid information technology, the more nosotros become "Ugh," the more than grotesque it becomes. I wonder if it'south something to do with empathy in there considering it empowers her. It empowers Arabella to dare to sympathize with David. Information technology'south empowering, and it gives her ability.

Tin yous tell me more virtually this idea of radical empathy with someone who has violated you?
Information technology's interesting, isn't information technology? Information technology's really difficult. This area feels very fragile. For me, this is the thing that needs a trigger warning, empathy, because information technology's uncomfortable. I call up it'due south a really uncomfortable loonshit. I spent a lot of my life asking, pleading, hoping for empathy. I am aware of this phrase "Practise unto others as you would have washed unto yourself," and yet these two things don't e'er connect. I'm saying "Empathize with me." I'm saying "How would you lot like it if you felt similar this and put your feet in my shoes?" If I am pleading for people to practice this for me, and so it just feels fitting for me to try to practise the aforementioned thing, to know what that might be like, the act of putting your anxiety in somebody else's shoes. I think this is radical empathy, isn't it? It's then hard to exist understood, so information technology's good to exercise, for me, the fine art of trying to understand things outside of myself, to constantly try and understand. And for me, daring to empathise, daring to assist other people as well equally being helped, it makes me feel amend. Arabella buys David a drink. She's helping, and it makes her experience ameliorate. I'k not saying "Become and buy a local rapist a beer." Information technology'due south metaphorical [laughs]. Radical empathy feels sadly taboo, which is odd, isn't information technology?

Yeah. I think you're correct that this needs a trigger warning.
Yeah! [Laughs.] I hope for a fourth dimension where this isn't taboo, and our social media and our algorithms and our YouTubes … [explosion audio upshot]. I tin can't even think most it anymore, because for me information technology feels similar it'south very hard to appoint with the mess that social media and the algorithms have made. I don't know what it's going to take to go us to a healthier place mentally. But in my listen, you know, I've fabricated this testify, and I await it to not resonate with everyone considering radical empathy is very taboo.

But I remember what you're maxim too is …
I've changed my listen. I do want it to resonate with everybody!

I experience like it becomes virtually ability, because am I understanding that what y'all're proverb is that it'southward actually about self-empowerment?
Yes. Yes. It will practice y'all good. It's about sleeping better at night. What else can I actually say? And when yous take a good night's slumber, you're too more effective as a human existence. You're more constructive in finding means to help do right in the globe, to aid be of use in the world.

How did you get there?
I remember writing in my agent's dwelling (lovely, lovely favor), and when I was reading the scripts, something clicked somewhere in this procedure. I was looking at all of these characters and realizing that they were quite predictable, and then I was able to predict how these petty humans, in this earth that I created, were dealing with their traumas. And it's almost similar clicking once more for me, and when I realized that there was a game, for me, I realized there was a style I could win information technology and go into the next phase. Information technology's something to do with growth, and it'southward definitely something to practice with allowing each of these characters to let go. Kwame has to let go of caring about what people think of him, of feeling like he is a person that should be punished, and that his pleasure is punishment, and that he's not a dainty person. It doesn't matter that Nilufer thinks that he is basically a rapist; he has to allow it become. He has to let it go. All these people take to let things go, merely there is a mode of viewing that which is deeply offensive.

But I, Michaela, have had to let it get. I've had to let information technology get. I had to let it become and realize that I was still alive if I allow it become, and the trauma did not demand to define me. I could let go of the trauma, and I would still be here. The trauma — it pulsates, and information technology's everywhere, and I'chiliad not trying to dictate anybody'southward lives, only speaking for Arabella, the trauma becomes the thing that feeds her, and sometimes the idea of her and me letting it become is scary simply because you don't know what life is without it. And and so information technology's like jumping off a cliff. But you know what that was also like for me? It was like deleting my Instagram. That's like jumping off a cliff and and so — still here. Whoa. Hither I am [laughs]. Cool! Wow. But information technology'due south a huge deal. I know it's a huge thing. Simply for me, I constitute that other things couldn't come in because it was blocking my pain, my trauma, my disability to sit with information technology and permit it exist, and let it alive, allow it exist in peace. Mayhap it'south not about letting it go; it's merely assuasive your trauma to sit there. Information technology'south scary to let get of. It'due south very hard to convince anybody to spring off a cliff, isn't it?

How Michaela Coel Wrote I May Destroy You'southward Dreamlike Ending